Thin Provision Parity Storage Space Problem

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Thin Provision Parity Storage Space Problem

Post by Alt » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:54 am

Sorry, the space database appeared much larger than we expected. Can you send us the images of 6MB regions? You may use our ftp, I've sent you the data via a private message.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:07 pm

Looks like the database on one of the disk (c) differs from those on other disks (a different data). In R-Studio, click the arrow right to the storage space and select Virtual Volume 0, as it's shown on the Fig. Scan this object.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MattPayne

Post by MattPayne » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:32 pm

The 4 3TB drives have been part of the same StorageSpace for a couple of years, I retired one of the 3TB disks by accident, but it hasn't been initialized or formatted so still contains the data.

The drive that is failing was the one holding the Log and journal drives - this is an SSD and it appears as though I now cant mount the storage space using the storage space control panel.

I have had to move the disk array and controller to another host and its done something weird, the storagespace controlpanel is showing missing disks all over the place, even after putting them back into the original host. So I can no longer replicate the screen grab that you have supplied. is r-studio able to mount the 4 3TB drives as a virtual raid to recover the data? and what settings would I use to do that?

Thanks

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:36 am

First, my mistake: I should've written "a different date" rather than "a different data". Really sorry for that.
I think it would be rather hard to assemble the storage space manually. Windows cuts the data into 256MB slices, then assembles RAIDs 5 from 4 such slices, and then assembles the disk from those RAIDs. In fact, you'll have to assemble 11,000 RAIds 5 manually.

MattPayne

Post by MattPayne » Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:23 am

no problems for the typo! :)

so your saying that r-studio wont be able to recover the data??

and the private messaging looks like its broken!

thanks

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:40 am

I tested PM, and it works fine.
Did you tested the storage space on ReclaimMe after the other controller did something weird? If the database is ruined, none can recover the storage space.

MattPayne

Post by MattPayne » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:34 pm

Yes, I tried reclaimme after and using just the 4 3TB drives all the directory tree showed correctly and jpg files previewed fine.

It takes about a second for reclaime to reassemble the storage space and probably about 5 seconds to display the full directory tree. So it looks like its using the original file index as opposed to performing an in depth sector by sector scan.

MattPayne

Post by MattPayne » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:15 am

Hi, any updates on my problem? did you have any luck with the images I sent??

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:54 pm

We hope that the next build of R-Studio will be able to handle your case. No promises on the release date, though.

MattPayne

Post by MattPayne » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:07 pm

thanks for the update, when you say no promises, are we looking at days, weeks or months?