Recover File from ReadyNAS Pro

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
JosephAE

Recover File from ReadyNAS Pro

Post by JosephAE » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:58 pm

Trying to recover important file deleted from Netgear ReadyNAS that was missed during backup.

The unit is a ReadyNAS Pro Business running in X-Raid2 mode with 6 x 500GB drives installed. Three drives in original setup and the last three drives were added incrementally over time. All disks are in perfect condition. No drive failures. Trying to recover accidently deleted file. Recycle Bin was turned off.

I immediately turned off the NAS removed and labeled all six drives. Connected each drive separately to a laptop and created an image of each drive with R-Studio saving each image off to a new USB drive.

My questions are:
1. How do you use R-Studio or the combination of R-Studio and ReclaiMe to build the Raid drive?
2. What are all the setting that should be used for a ReadyNAS running X-Raid2?
3. How do you then search to recover the deleted file?

Thanks in advance.

Data-Medics

Re: Recover File from ReadyNAS Pro

Post by Data-Medics » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:17 am

XRAID2 is very tricky. Theoretically, once you have all drives the same size it becomes essentially a RAID 5 array which you can build right from within R-Studio. However, in reality it's a bit trickier than that and often you'll find settings that work to recover some of the data, but not all, then another setting to recover other areas... it's a mess trust me.

Here's a few settings to get you started:

Parity Delay = never used with X-RAID2
Block Size = 64Kb (newer units default) 16Kb (some older units default)
Parity Rotation = Left Sync.

JosephAE

Post by JosephAE » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:52 pm

Are there any other special setting? Parity delay? Number of rows? Apply changes immediately or just Apply?

So I load the disks in the proper order, select RAID5, Left Sync (Std.), Number of rows equal to the number of disks (6), Block size 64KB, Apply changes immediately not checked and then select Auto Detect?

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:47 am

I don't think Autodetect will help you in this case.
Click Apply and see what happens.