Qnap recovery

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
lm81

Qnap recovery

Post by lm81 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:18 am

Hello

I accidentally formatted my QNap (TS-251) storing about 7 TB of files (2x5 TB, encrypted joined volume 9 TB volume)
I assume it was a quick format since it took ca. 5 minutes.

I am able to access the network shares over network. Is recovery possible? If yes, what product should be purchased? Am I able to preview recovery without purchasing full license?

Many thanks for info

Data-Medics

Re: Qnap recovery

Post by Data-Medics » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:21 pm

Recovery should certainly be possible, but not over the network. You'll need to remove the drives and use R-Studio to recover it. I think those use an EXT 3/4 filesystem.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:25 pm

If it was really encrypted, prospects are negative. But you may try it for free.
Look at this: What to do if I don't know if R-Studio can recover my files?.
And this: File Recovery FAQ, Q52.

Corsari

Post by Corsari » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:24 pm

Hello
Sorry, I'm pessimistic about your choices

We deal with so many QNAP NAS devices

The bad news is the file system adopted by QNAP.

Unfortunately a part the encryption issue, you have lost ALL the directories names and sub-levels and all the files names.

Usually, you may recover files by types, and the fragmentation will be an issue, since all the metadata are wiped off by the quick format.

So first you must understand how does it works the linux kernel volume encryption (sorry we did not had that necessity until today)
If it allow the decryption to work on a formatted EXT4 partition, well you are half the way

Next only a RAW scanning will produce acceptable results
Robert
Technical Manager @ Recupero Dati RAID FAsTec (Italy)

USEFUL RULES and GUIDELINES
1) What to check BEFORE begin a disk image/clone process [link]
2) Disks that are too slow while imaging/cloning them [link]
3) All my posts on this forum [link]

Data-Medics

Post by Data-Medics » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:04 pm

I missed the part where he mentioned it was encrypted.... that does change things. Not likely to be a good result in that case.