Raid 5

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
Yani

Raid 5

Post by Yani » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:10 am

Hi,

Firstly, I'm an idiot and don't know what I'm doing. But I have read the help yet it is not matching my experience... and I figure this is because I'm an idiot. And I've been trying to sort this out for weeks, making me feel even more like an idiot. ;)

Something happen and Win 10 swapped drivers to one incompatible with RAID disks. After 5 months of trying to resolve the issue by fixing Windows I gave up and did a fresh install on a new SSD.

Into all this add Seagate drives... 2 x 1Tb and 2 x 3Tb (the damn backup drive) that have either failed or failed on initial testing.

So the systems looks like this...
#1 Controller
Raid Disk 1 (all 1TB)
Raid Disk 2
Raid Disk 3
Raid Disk 4
SSD Boot
SSD Old

#2 Controller
DVD Drive
Backup Disk

AMD 8 core
16 Gb RAM
(noted for comments on speed)

Even after the reload of Windows I can't see the RAID disks.

I'm 60% sure they are in the right order. The disks are definitely in same order as they were removed from the stack. If I'm wrong then it is a total invert of the 4.

So I didn't have much choice but to try using the motherboard utility to recreate the RAID. At that point I might have rewritten some tables. I have no idea and would take advice.

Firstly because I'm following the help I have not scanned the disks first. Nor do I have the replacement 3Tb drive to image the disks at this stage. I want to make a virtual raid set and see what the story is.

I think what I might have done wrong is to not scan the drive before trying to create the virtual raid but I see nowhere in the help documents that talks on this topic.

Everything is going fine setting up the RAID 5 virtual disk until I run autodetect. I've created an addition desktop as you can't hide the main program window and run that for up to 3 days. How long is this meant to take? I have reasons to wanta reboot, pesty programs that insist on it.

So if I can just get one thing right... do I have to scan the 4 disk before I start messing with creating the virtual raid?

And with that a software suggestion. I have been known to get up every 2 hours during the night to feed orphan baby fruit bats but I'd prefer if I could select multiple disks and scan them in a batch.

Tanks,

Yani

Yani

Re: Raid 5

Post by Yani » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:13 am

Oh yeah...

And if those columns of numbers generated over 3 days were to be useful it really needs the ability to sort in the table headers.

Yani

Post by Yani » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:25 am

Also I'm scanning 3 disks this round using 3 sessions of the software. All while using the browser and other programs.

Task Manager reports
CPU ~40%
3 disks at 90%
4/16 Gb RAM

These is some scope here to not just batch this process but to run multiple scans on different disks simultaneously. At least 4 seems very possible.

Data-Medics

Post by Data-Medics » Tue May 10, 2016 1:01 pm

Hi Yani, how did you ever make out with this? I haven't been on this forum much lately or I'd have offered some help.

Auto detect only works in some cases, and from what you're describing I doubt it'll correctly detect the settings. This is a case that'll need some manual expertise. If you haven't solved it yet, please message me and I can hopefully guide you further.

Jared

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Wed May 11, 2016 11:01 am

Data-Medics wrote:Hi Yani, how did you ever make out with this? I haven't been on this forum much lately or I'd have offered some help.

Auto detect only works in some cases, and from what you're describing I doubt it'll correctly detect the settings. This is a case that'll need some manual expertise. If you haven't solved it yet, please message me and I can hopefully guide you further.

Jared
It would be very interesting if you try to do that using R-Studio's Internet capabilities.

RForce

Post by RForce » Thu May 12, 2016 8:26 am

Alt wrote: It would be very interesting if you try to do that using R-Studio's Internet capabilities.
I've tried it once or twice, but it is just easier to remote control the system and run R-Studio locally.

Yani

Post by Yani » Wed May 18, 2016 10:07 am

I've not solved it at all.

For some reason I can see the whole failed RAID set up now as opposed to just the disks. Somewhere along the way something has "fixed" itself. All which is odd given this screenshot.
RAID-error.png
Here is what R-S sees...
system created RAID.png
Unfortunately nothing recognized creates a working file.

I haven't given up yet...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Data-Medics

Post by Data-Medics » Wed May 18, 2016 10:58 am

I would guess that the RAID was re-assembled using the wrong drive order or configuration.

You'll need to connect the drives independently (not as part of a RAID) so you can work with them in R-Studio. Nothing you can do through the RAID card in RAID mode, as it's trying to automatically destripe the data using the wrong config.

I'll PM you my contact details so we can chat more about it.

Yani

Post by Yani » Sun May 22, 2016 10:54 pm

For the record... the drives are in a cage so any change in order is a total reverse and not some random change.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Mon May 23, 2016 12:17 pm

As I understand, this is a built-in RAID controller. Somehow the RAID had failed, and you (or the system) created a new one.
You definitely should disassemble the RAID in the RAID controller and create a virtual one in R-Studio out of the drives from that RAID. R-Studio's help: Basic RAID 4 and RAID 5 Operations. RAID Recovery Presentation.