.txt recoveryworks but odt., .docx recovery doesnt work

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
Felix

.txt recoveryworks but odt., .docx recovery doesnt work

Post by Felix » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:07 am

Hello,

i have the issue, that all .txt files are recovered correctly, but if i recover .odt and .docx files, the output is nonsense. It seems not plausible for me that all .txt files are undamaged, and all other files are damaged. So i assume that i did something wrong. I scanned the entire harddrive, and picked a "yellow" partition with the right size. Then i browsed the folders and restored selected files by using the standard settings. Do you have an idea what i should make different? In the moment I'm using the DEMO-Version of R-Studio emergency until I'm not sure that I can recover something except .txt files.

Why I lost my data? I formattet the entire ntfs drive with ext4!

Please help me, I'm an absolute newbie :)

Felix

RForce

Re: .txt recoveryworks but odt., .docx recovery doesnt work

Post by RForce » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:18 pm

A simple format of the drive from NTFS to EXT shouldn't be too difficult to recover, unless you wrote data to the new partition.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:36 am

If you use the DEMO version, how could you recover odt and docx files? Were they smaller than 256 KB, the file size limit you can recover with the DEMO version?
You may preview those files to see if they can be recovered correctly.

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:54 am

Thank you! They were smaller than 256KB. I previewed odt. an docx files, but i got only a lot of characters without meaning. But isn't it strange that .txt files are recovered correctly and .odt files not? I have another question: How i find out whats the correct starting point for the partition? Maybe I should look into another recognized partition?