raid on adaptec 3805

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
bubbahotep

raid on adaptec 3805

Post by bubbahotep » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:38 pm

Hi,

I have a raid 5 GPT on an adaptec 3805. they array is lost... good that I had my data on a raid 5 to prevent loss...

The disk / disks are not listed in r-studio.

any suggestions / workarounds ? Is support for adaptec raid controllers planned ?

Should i connect the disks to the standard sata connectors on the board ?

cheers
bubba

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: raid on adaptec 3805

Post by Alt » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:39 am

This is not a problem of supporting the RAID controller, this is the problem that the controller will not show the disks to the system unless a valid array is created out of them.
The workarounds (from the data safest tricks to the least data safe ones)
1. Connect the disks to a standard SATA connector and create images of them, one by one. Then create a virtual RAID5 from those images.
2. Connect all disks to standard SATA connectors and create a virtual RAID5 from the disks.
3. Create JBOD arrays of those disks using the controller. Create a virtual RAID5 from those JBOD disks.

bubbahotep

Post by bubbahotep » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:14 pm

Hi,

ok I have connected all disks to a sata controller, so I can see all disks. I can also see the data on the which seems to be intact. I can see for example partial jpg images where parts are missing. I can also see the directory structure.

I know that the stripe size was 512 kb, but for some reason the disk order on the adaptec 3805 does not seem to be the order of the raid disks. if i bring the stata disks into the same order as they were on the raid controller, i only get partial jpgs.

So I am wondering how I could determine the disk order and the parity rotation of the adaptec 3805 raid 5.

Would r-tt know the parity rotation, then I could just use trial and error for the disk order.

also when I create a r-studio block raid for a raid 5 with 4 disks, how many lines do I need ? will one line per disk be sufficient ? I saw in the manual that they used 3 lines per disk and what is the offset for adaptec? could phone support help me with this ? I am willing to pay here...
page 69 of http://www.r-tt.com/downloads/rstudio.pdf

Block order:
A B C
1 PD 1 2
2 PD 3 4
3 PD 5 6
4 7 PD 8
5 9 PD 10
6 11 PD 12
7 13 14 PD
8 15 16 PD
9 17 18 PD

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:21 am

I don't think out techsupport knows the RAID parameters. There are too many RAIDs models to track all of them.
You can ask the Adaptech techsupport for default settings, or try to determine them yourself.
Maybe this paper will help:
http://www.data-recovery-software.net/A ... ndex.shtml
Most likely, 4 lines will be enough. And only one cell can have a certain number.

bubbahotep

Post by bubbahotep » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:11 pm

thank you for the quick reply.

how do i determine the number of lines necessary ? i read the manual but couldnt find a reference to number of lines..
it is determined by block size or disk size or something else ?
i have 5 1 tb drives with 512 kb blocks.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:54 am

The number of lines is determined by the block pattern. I'm 99% sure the number of lines in your case is equal to the number of hard drives.