Cannot access folders of a mounted image (on another PC)

Disk backup and restore, partition imaging and cloning, and drive copy using R-Drive Image.
Forum rules
Discussion on the R-Drive Image software
MerleOne

Cannot access folders of a mounted image (on another PC)

Post by MerleOne » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:03 pm

Hi,

I am encountering again this issue, this time with no workaround so far. I have created an image of a Win 7 PC (system+data). When I mount the image on another PC (Win 8.1 and also Win 10 on a third PC), I cannot enter the C:\Users Folder. Formerly, using XYplorer or Total Commander in admin mode solved this, but not this time.

Is there a workaround ? I have no longer access to the original PC (SSD has been reformatted and a fresh system installed). Maybe restoring the image onto an external HDD, then I can change the permissions ?

Thanks for your help,

Regards,

.merle1.

RForce

Re: Cannot access folders of a mounted image (on another PC)

Post by RForce » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:02 pm

Is it a full image or compressed?

MerleOne

Post by MerleOne » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:23 pm

The original filesystem has some folders compressed by Win7 integrated compression... The image itself is compressed and comprised of a full and some incremental images.

But I think I found 2 workarounds : the first one is pretty simple, use restore "files & folders" instead of mounting the image, then, when files are recreated, the permission is right. Some wouldn't be restored with a strange error message, but most of them were, OK apparently.

Second one is to create an empty NTFS partition on an external drive then restore the image onto that partition. The access issue is there again but I think I can regain ownership of the files now that the filesystem is not read only.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:56 am

When you connect a disk image as a logical disk, you connect it as R/O. And you cannot change file/folder permissions, etc. That's the problem. And yes, recovering separate files or entire image is the way around.

MerleOne

Post by MerleOne » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:17 pm

Thanks for your reply. I see now that some imaging tools propose either a virtual R/W image, or to give rights so that the files can be read from the mounted image. It would be nice to have this feature in a future version.