VMware VMFS recovery

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
hypoeddy

VMware VMFS recovery

Post by hypoeddy » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:50 am

I have a destriped RAID with several VMDK files existing within a VMFS file system. Any scan only shows fat or NTFS volumes. The list of file systems to search for does not include "vmfs". Is the software somehow going into each vmdk, recognizing it as a volume, and then just listing the contents?

The other question I have regards opening a scan file of a partial scan. When I open an NTFS volume which I know was a vmdk, it hangs midway after showing a list of fixup errors. If I scan futher, the fixup list will start with a larger record number for the error. It seems like when I scan further, it must be locating files and associating them with the NTFS records. It would seem that I shouldn't have to scan to that area in order for the software to look there once I open the volume and it traverses the NTFS records. Are unscanned areas not looked at when you open a found volume?

Corsari

Re: VMware VMFS recovery

Post by Corsari » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:25 am

Who/what determined that the RAID is correctly destriped?

Than you for clarifying
Robert
Technical Manager @ Recupero Dati RAID FAsTec (Italy)

USEFUL RULES and GUIDELINES
1) What to check BEFORE begin a disk image/clone process [link]
2) Disks that are too slow while imaging/cloning them [link]
3) All my posts on this forum [link]

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:03 pm

hypoeddy wrote:I have a destriped RAID with several VMDK files existing within a VMFS file system. Any scan only shows fat or NTFS volumes. The list of file systems to search for does not include "vmfs". Is the software somehow going into each vmdk, recognizing it as a volume, and then just listing the contents?

The other question I have regards opening a scan file of a partial scan. When I open an NTFS volume which I know was a vmdk, it hangs midway after showing a list of fixup errors. If I scan futher, the fixup list will start with a larger record number for the error. It seems like when I scan further, it must be locating files and associating them with the NTFS records. It would seem that I shouldn't have to scan to that area in order for the software to look there once I open the volume and it traverses the NTFS records. Are unscanned areas not looked at when you open a found volume?
R-Studio doesn't support the VMFS file system yet. So it might find NTFS file systems incorrectly.

RForce

Post by RForce » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:31 am

VMFS can be a challenge to recover. Send me a PM if you'd like some remote assistance.

Corsari

Post by Corsari » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:32 am

Yes, definitely

Remote support is available also at our side

If you need it just drop a private message
Robert
Technical Manager @ Recupero Dati RAID FAsTec (Italy)

USEFUL RULES and GUIDELINES
1) What to check BEFORE begin a disk image/clone process [link]
2) Disks that are too slow while imaging/cloning them [link]
3) All my posts on this forum [link]