unchecking "extra search for known file types"

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
hypoeddy1

unchecking "extra search for known file types"

Post by hypoeddy1 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:13 am

I have a question regarding the feature "extra search for known file types" which is a checkbox item that appears on the screen when you click "scan" for a hard drive.

Does this extra search for known file types help the scan process to link files with their associated NTFS records in any way?

I can imagine the scan process finds MFT records, and then finds a group of lost files that match the associated NTFS records, but exist slightly off. I don't know how common that might be, but if I were a programmer I might create a record of lost file locations and if they match NTFS records that don't point to valid files, point the records to the lost files and maybe show this as an optional volume to explore. In this type of scenario, unchecking the feature to search for lost files would result in a poor recovery that would be good otherwise.

So, is there anything at all in the scan process that might suffer from disabling the search for lost files, or can I safely assume that I'll still get the same recovery for all the files that have an associated NTFS record?

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: unchecking "extra search for known file types"

Post by Alt » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:58 pm

hypoeddy1 wrote: So, is there anything at all in the scan process that might suffer from disabling the search for lost files, or can I safely assume that I'll still get the same recovery for all the files that have an associated NTFS record?
Yes, actually. Any file that has a valid NTFS record will be recovered regardless whether the search for Known File Types is on or off. Of course, provided that its content is not overwritten.
But I recommend disabling it only if your system is really out of resources. You may find more with this option enabled. If a file found with this search coincides with a file found by analyzing the file system, R-Studio shows it in Extra found files with a valid file name and other attributes.