Formatted External Hardrive

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
deweysan123

Formatted External Hardrive

Post by deweysan123 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:10 pm

I have by my own stupidity formatted my external hardrive and desperately need to recover the files on it. I just need to know if this is possible and if R-Studio is the software to use? Any help will be gratefully accepted. Thx G

Corsari

Re: Formatted External Hardrive

Post by Corsari » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:05 am

Add more details :-)
Thank you

- how was it formatted before the accident?
- which operating system carried out the new format?
- was it a quick format? Or a complete one? (the first lasts in a matter of seconds, the second hour/s)
Robert
Technical Manager @ Recupero Dati RAID FAsTec (Italy)

USEFUL RULES and GUIDELINES
1) What to check BEFORE begin a disk image/clone process [link]
2) Disks that are too slow while imaging/cloning them [link]
3) All my posts on this forum [link]

deweysan123

Post by deweysan123 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:47 am

Hi, thanks for you reply.

The quick format was done from a Windows 7 installation disk.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:18 am

You may try R-Studio for free. R-Studio Demo does everything except it does not save recovered files larger than 256 KB.
With R-Studio Demo you may search for the lost files, scan disks, create virtual RAIDs, etc. When you've found your lost files you may estimate chances for recovery by previewing the files. If the files are previewed successfully, you may buy R-Studio and register it on-the-fly, and no re-installation is required. Then you can recover the lost files found.

If you just format the disk, this article will help:
Data Recovery from a Re-Formatted exFAT Disk. The article describes recovery from another files system than you, but general guidelines are the same. You'll be able to recover some files with full file names and paths, some with their content only. The proportion cannot be determined until the recovery.
If you re-installed the system, this article will help: File Recovery after Re-installing Windows.