How do I set offset without scanning to find the RAID layout

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
tman7510

How do I set offset without scanning to find the RAID layout

Post by tman7510 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:17 pm

How do I set offset without scanning to find the RAID layout. I believe I already have all the parameters set but I cant set the offset without having to run a scan that looks like it will take 9 days. I have tried to just set custom offset but I cannot push apply as the button is dark.

Corsari

Re: How do I set offset without scanning to find the RAID la

Post by Corsari » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:22 am

Kindly begin describing the scenario
- Version of R-Studio you are using
- RAID type
- NAS or Server/SAN with HW RAID controller
- Number of drives
- the parameters you have found and set so far

Thank you
Robert
Technical Manager @ Recupero Dati RAID FAsTec (Italy)

USEFUL RULES and GUIDELINES
1) What to check BEFORE begin a disk image/clone process [link]
2) Disks that are too slow while imaging/cloning them [link]
3) All my posts on this forum [link]

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:57 am

tman7510 wrote:How do I set offset without scanning to find the RAID layout. I believe I already have all the parameters set but I cant set the offset without having to run a scan that looks like it will take 9 days. I have tried to just set custom offset but I cannot push apply as the button is dark.
Go to the Parents tab, enter the offset on the Offset column, hit Enter, and then click the Apply button. That should work.

tman7510

Post by tman7510 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:54 am

@corsari
I'm using R-Studio 4.2.2876
RAID 5
Lenovo PX4-300d NAS
3 drives
I have the drive order from dump files saved by the NAS that gives me layout,chunk size and super offset but no data offset. I think the fact that my NAS apparenly uses some strange combination of RAID 1 1st partition of the dive and RAID 5 on the second partition is causing auto detection problems. I used ReclaimMe Free RAID as well but it came back with parameters that dont match what I have in the dump file. I also tried UFS Explorer and it found what looked like a 20G xfs partition for the NAS OS but nothing else...I'm attaching the dump files..perhaps you or one of the mods can extract further information from the dumps. They are just txt files but since I cant attach txt files I created a tar ball containing the dump files.

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tman7510

Post by tman7510 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:52 pm

Funny thing happened. Using autodetect parameterrs r-studio found with 82% probability drive order,block size,offset but after hitting apply I dont see raid partitions or and directory structure. So I decided to run a scan on the raid using these parameters and stopped it at about 50% to see how it looked. found my pics and they all looked good. Some of my mkvs playe in the previewer but are choppy so maybe not a full recovery. Now here is where it gets good. I try to resume the scan and it crashes. So I restart R-studio and go to load the saved scan .scn file but it doesnt restore the raid parameters that were detected earlier...so I go to parents tab and enter teh offset but it wont let me set offset per drive. I set the offset on one drive and it sets the offset of all the drives. So I was forced to go backto autodetection and use the custom offset feature but now it no longer finds the raid layout??? Does anyone know what I'm doing or did wrong? :?: this is driving me crazy

Corsari

Post by Corsari » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:05 am

Edited
Robert
Technical Manager @ Recupero Dati RAID FAsTec (Italy)

USEFUL RULES and GUIDELINES
1) What to check BEFORE begin a disk image/clone process [link]
2) Disks that are too slow while imaging/cloning them [link]
3) All my posts on this forum [link]