QNAP qtier recovery

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
dissens

QNAP qtier recovery

Post by dissens » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:34 pm

Hi, do anyone here have any experience with or suggestions on the proper procedure when faced with the following situation:

One Qtier pool consisting of a RAID5 SSD group and a RAID6 HDD group. The SSD group is gone (physicaly) and is supposed to contain the material most accessed in the pool. The RAID6 HDD group is seemingly OK. The movement of files in the pool is done by QNAPs qtier.

The least accessed files are kept in the RAID6 group. These files are of most interest.

Thanks

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: QNAP qtier recovery

Post by Alt » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:29 am

Did you try to create a RAID6 from those disks in R-Studio?

Data-Medics

Re: QNAP qtier recovery

Post by Data-Medics » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:22 am

I'm not a Qnap user, but I'd suspect that it's like other NASs wherein the SSD pool just acts as a cache really and a full set of data is still contained on the HDD RAID 6. I think the data on the SSD portion is actually just duplicated onto there rather than actually deleted from the HDDs.

Just know that rebuilding RAID 6 can be quite tricky to do. There are a lot more factors than you'd see with RAID 5 as RAID 6 has many more ways of being implemented.