xlsx file ( needle in a haystack )

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
rufunky

xlsx file ( needle in a haystack )

Post by rufunky » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:44 am

I am trying to recover an office excel .XLSX file from a 500GB HDD. The drive is faulty and it sounds as if the platters scrape when not on a level flat surface. I am unsure the best way to go about trying to recover this one, single .XLSX file as I have never used this software before now. I'm hoping someone could point me in the right direction as I have exhausted all my normal means of file recovery.

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: xlsx file ( needle in a haystack )

Post by Alt » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:12 pm

A faulty drive -> definitely a professional data recovery service.

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:23 pm

Thank you but Is there anything I can try locally as I would like to exhaust all of my options? The file is important but not so much so that I would want to send it to a professional.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:56 pm

General course of action: Data Recovery Using R-Studio.
For your particular case:
1. Create an image of the disk, simultaneously scanning it:
Images
. But be ready the drive may die.
2. Search for the file: Searching for a File.

Data-Medics

Post by Data-Medics » Thu May 03, 2018 9:04 am

Guest wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:23 pm
Thank you but Is there anything I can try locally as I would like to exhaust all of my options? The file is important but not so much so that I would want to send it to a professional.
The more you attempt to "exhaust all your options" the more you're going to exhaust any possibility of ever getting your data back. I work in professional data recovery and we constantly see the correlation between the amount of amateur efforts to recover the data and the likelihood that it's permanently lost.

As ALT mentioned, try to clone the drive. If it's hitting errors or refuses to clone, you've got a hardware issue and need to see a professional service (and by professional service I'm not talking about a place that does iPhone screen replacements and virus removals, I'm talking about a real data recovery laboratory).