Can no longer see files to recover after Windows 10 update

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
winterelegy

Can no longer see files to recover after Windows 10 update

Post by winterelegy » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:04 pm

Have a weird issue here. I installed and was using R studio last week to try to recover files from a machine that had been reimaged. When I ran r studio it found 30-40 orange partitions almost all of which showed the directory I was looking to recover under the root of C:/ . So I was planning to keep the scan open to show my boss today (Monday)...however, Windows 10 1709 ran an update over the weekend (comp was on 1709 and this was just some update for 1709, not 1803 or 1809)and shut down the machine. Now when I re-scan, R Studio doesn't find ANY orange partitions. If I use other tools (Recuva, EaseUS) nothing finds those old files anymore like they were able to before the update. What the hell? Anyone experienced something like this?? I am logging in with the same account (domain admin account which has local admin permission). Pretty sure I'm not doing anything else differently between last week and now.

Data-Medics

Re: Can no longer see files to recover after Windows 10 update

Post by Data-Medics » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:16 pm

Wait, so you were still running Windows off the drive you were needing to recover data from?

That's a terrible idea. Every second it's running it's creating new data and overwriting older data. That Windows update probably just nuked your hope of getting the files back.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:00 am

Maybe (just maybe!) scan for known file types may (or may not) help to recover something, without original filenames and stuff.

winterelegy

Post by winterelegy » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:24 am

Data-Medics wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:16 pm
Wait, so you were still running Windows off the drive you were needing to recover data from?

That's a terrible idea. Every second it's running it's creating new data and overwriting older data. That Windows update probably just nuked your hope of getting the files back.
Ah yeah that's true. Well, I already recovered the files I was looking for and like 80% of them were blank/corrupt/overwritten so I'm screwed regardless. I mainly wanted something to show my boss like "hey look I've done all I can". It's just bizarre that after a windows update no data recovery tools can find ANY trace of that old data even though previously r studio found like 30 different partitions of it. I mean I get that the data becomes less and less recoverable as the computer does things and writes new data, but I don't get why it can no longer see any trace of the old data.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:17 am

winterelegy wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:24 am
I mean I get that the data becomes less and less recoverable as the computer does things and writes new data, but I don't get why it can no longer see any trace of the old data.
Because it also overwrites the info about old files, too.

devilmayfry

Post by devilmayfry » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:16 pm

I actually had a very similar issue happen to me which is why I am checking the forums. Not sure if it's related to any Windows update, but I managed to use R-Studio to recover some large data files off of my external hard drive about 2 weeks ago. However, I had not recovered everything and was going to come back to it later on. Now I'm scanning the exact same external drive, having never written anything to it, and those files no longer show up. I'm using the exact same settings and everything. Any ideas on what may be the cause?

I believe the only thing that was different is I was using the demo version at the time of the original scan, then purchased an NTFS license in order to recover the data. But there shouldn't be any differences as a result of using a register vs unregistered version right?

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:59 pm

devilmayfry wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:16 pm
I actually had a very similar issue happen to me which is why I am checking the forums. Not sure if it's related to any Windows update, but I managed to use R-Studio to recover some large data files off of my external hard drive about 2 weeks ago. However, I had not recovered everything and was going to come back to it later on. Now I'm scanning the exact same external drive, having never written anything to it, and those files no longer show up. I'm using the exact same settings and everything. Any ideas on what may be the cause?
You haven't. Windows may have.
devilmayfry wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:16 pm
I believe the only thing that was different is I was using the demo version at the time of the original scan, then purchased an NTFS license in order to recover the data. But there shouldn't be any differences as a result of using a register vs unregistered version right?
No difference in results. You may check that by installing a demo version on some other computer and check the results.