R-Wipe & Clean 20 crash when clearing Chrome

A place to discuss data and privacy protection, file and disk wipe, computer cleaning, and removing traces of user activity with R-Wipe & Clean.
Forum rules
Discussion on the R-Wipe & Clean and R-Crypto software
stardust

R-Wipe & Clean 20 crash when clearing Chrome

Post by stardust » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:32 am

I'd post the version of RWC I'm running, if I could find the About box amongst the new ribbon interface. I guess it's R-Wipe & Clean 20.0.2214, since I did download the latest version last night (Nov 22).

I set up a task to clear Chrome data when Chrome is closed. And without having actually (manually) closed Chrome, I started seeing RWC's dialog popping up over and over again. This went on indefinitely. In Task Manager, I could see werfault.exe running. Dump files were created for RwcWorker.exe.

The crashes did not surprise me, since RwcWorker.exe crashes each time try clearing Chrome data within RWC. But the indefinite crash/run loop was unexpected, especially since I most definitely still had Chrome windows open.
Last edited by stardust on Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stardust

Re: R-Wipe & Clean 20 crash when clearing Chrome

Post by stardust » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:49 pm

I've determined that it is the "Browsing History" item that is at least partially at issue. When I deselect "Browsing History", and manually start the task, the cleaning of Chrome proceeds without issue. If I leave "Browsing History" enabled and selected, then manually run the task, RWC tries cleaning Chrome "Browsing History", RwcWorker.exe crashes, and the status window shows "Cleaning has been terminated" in red text. This occurs with or without Chrome.exe running.

Then I found that even with "Browsing History" deselected in the Customize window, the task still gets started and crashes repeatedly, even with Chrome.exe running. So, I'm not sure what the issue is.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:51 pm

Thanks for reporting, we're working on the issue right now.

stardust

Post by stardust » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:07 pm

The issue went away during the previous build. I just installed R-Wipe & Clean 20.0 build 2218 and it's back--the same issue described above occurs, at least when "Browsing history" is selected.