Disk to disk copy question

Disk backup and restore, partition imaging and cloning, and drive copy using R-Drive Image.
Forum rules
Discussion on the R-Drive Image software
finsfree

Disk to disk copy question

Post by finsfree » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:21 pm

I am using the bootable cd created by r-drive image software. I want to copy one hard drive (20GB) to another hard drive (60GB). The 20GB hard drive has my OS on it (C:). All I want do is upgrade to a bigger hard drive and have only one hard drive left when I am finished.

Then I boot to the cd I select disk to disk copy>I pick the 20GB hard drive as the source>I pick the 60GB hard drive as the target>next I pick Expand/Shrink Partition to whole disk (Fixed active partition) and press next. When it finishes I still only have a 20GB partition on the 60GB hard drive. :x It did not "Expand" the partiton through out the whole drive at all. :x

One more thing, if I select "Expand/Shrink Partition to whole disk" it will expand and use the whole disk, but when I try to boot to that hard drive (60GB) the bios tells me there is a disk error. :x :? :cry:

*I am running Windows XP Pro 32bit SP3*

What am I doing wrong?

Help me out please!!!!

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Disk to disk copy question

Post by Alt » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:06 am

Clear Fixed active partition.

finsfree

Post by finsfree » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:19 pm

Ok I will try and then let you know.

Thanks for you response,
finsfree

finsfree

Post by finsfree » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:58 pm

Alt wrote:Clear Fixed active partition.
Tried that and it did not work either.

If I copy a partition to another drive and don't extend/change the size it works just fine. But, if I change/extend the size on the target or new drive it doesn't boot at all.

I am beginning to think that this program I just purchased (R-Drive Image) doesn't work that well... :(

Anymore suggestions?

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:29 pm

Are all other disks (especially the source one) disconnected during the failed startup?
If yes,
Please contact our tech support with the following information:
At which stage does Windows stop loading? What is the last message/screen?
Please include a system dump when the source and target disks are connected together. (You may reach it by clicking the About button).