Recovery Disk/Particion QNAP.

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
Buddy79

Recovery Disk/Particion QNAP.

Post by Buddy79 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:22 am

Goodmorning everyone.
I have 2 3TB HDDs that were mounted on a QNAP TS 215+ NAS.
These disks are formatted as simple individual volumes (NO RAID) but are encrypted (I have a key).

The problem with these disks, according to QNAP technicians, is that there are no more "superblocks" and therefore I can no longer use them inside the NAS without first formatting them.

But the partition structure is still there, in fact with r-Linux in windows, it shows me all the partitions and the data have never been deleted.

So they suggested that I use a program to recover data to try to recover the data from the partition.

First of all, I wanted to ask you if you think data recovery was possible in this situation.
If yes, which program should I use: r-Linux or r-Studio? Windows or Linux?

I have a PC with Windows 10, but I have no problem installing Linux.

I rely on you to understand how to act better.

THANK YOU!

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Recovery Disk/Particion QNAP.

Post by Alt » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:58 pm

Buddy79 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:22 am
These disks are formatted as simple individual volumes (NO RAID) but are encrypted (I have a key).
I think, this would be the problem. I don't know how QNAP encrypts data.
R-Linux may see a partition structure, you may try R-Linux for free. Maybe, it'll be better to work under Linux, maybe it can decrypt the disks somehow.

Data-Medics

Post by Data-Medics » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:22 am

My guess would be that they are using cryptsetup / LUKS to encrypt it. It's a pretty common open-source Linux encryption.

With a bit of Linux-foo you can probably mount the volumes.

Buddy79

Post by Buddy79 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:12 am

First of all, thank you very much for the answers.

"Alt" I tried to run r-Linux (and even r-Studio) on both Windows and Linux.
I can visualize the volumes and the partitions but I cannot access them, probably because they are encrypted. But I can't find the possibility to mount and / or scan the partition by giving the decryption key. Am I wrong in something?
r-Linux.png
"Data-Medics" I will try to investigate what you wrote to me in the hope of finding something. Unfortunately I'm not a big Linux freak and this limits me. If you have more detailed info I can only thank you.
Thanks so much to you both.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Data-Medics

Post by Data-Medics » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:49 am

Try following what this article says: https://www.linux-howto.info/mount-qnap ... ed-volume/

Though, in your case you won't have to do it through SSH if you've got the drive removed and connected to another computer.

It'll probably just be a matter of booting to a live version of some Debian build Linux then doing commands similar to:

>sudo mkdir /mnt/mountpoint (to creae a mountpoint)
>sudo storage_util --encrypt_pwd pwd=<your encryption string (password)> (to convert your password into encryption string)
>sudo cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sdb3 mountpoint (adjusting the sdb3 part to whatever the encrypted partition is designated)
(Then it'll probably prompt for the encryption string you got in the second step. Put that in)
>sudo mount -t ext4 /dev/sdb3 /mnt/mountpoint (again adjusting the sdb3 part)

And it should mount the volume to /mnt/mountpoint or whatever you decide to name your mountpoint.