Apple Mac Pro RAID card settings

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
Lukasha

Apple Mac Pro RAID card settings

Post by Lukasha » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:27 pm

I had a series of events happen to me that has caused my RAID 5 to become unusable and now I'm trying to recover data from it. I had 4 750GB drives plugged into my Apple RAID Card in my Mac Pro. All 4 created a RAID 5 set which was then formatted as multiple partitions. I took this unfortunate turn of events as an opportunity to put 4 1TB drives in. So I'm running the new drives as 1 big RAID 5 volume temporarily while I attempt to recover data and I've created images of two of my drives and placed them on the big volume and the other 2 drives are connected via eSATA cables. Now I'm trying to do the Virtual RAID in R-Studio and choosing the 2 drive images and 2 real drives, but I have no idea about all the other settings such as block size and such and I can't find any documentation or specifications for the Apple RAID Card that contains this information. Does anyone out there know the proper settings and will it even work if the drives aren't plugged into the RAID card itself? Thanks in advance for any help.

Jeff

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Apple Mac Pro RAID card settings

Post by Alt » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:52 am

Well, I think if you create a virtual RAID5 with two real hard drives connected not to the RAID card and the images of the rest two ones, that will most likely work. Well, provided that they are placed in the correct order and other parameters are correct.
Unfortunately, I cannot give you the correct parameters for your RAID configuration. Maybe, the Apple techsupport will help?