Imaging a Zenbook that has C: in Bitlocker format

Disk backup and restore, partition imaging and cloning, and drive copy using R-Drive Image.
Forum rules
Discussion on the R-Drive Image software
MerleOne

Imaging a Zenbook that has C: in Bitlocker format

Post by MerleOne » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:39 pm

Hi,
I just unboxed an Asus Zenbook and I see, when lauching R-Drive Image GUI, that C: had bitlocker format. Probably an Asus choice. The issue is that there is only 40GB of data on C: (Windows 10 after initial config) but R-Drive seems to want to image in bit by bit mode (RAW mode ?) the partition, so it is slow and the image will probably be large. And I suspect incremental images will be long / large too. Is there something I can do ?
Thanks !
Sincerely,
Merle1

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Imaging a Zenbook that has C: in Bitlocker format

Post by Alt » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:56 am

The partition is encrypted and locked. In this case you have two options - image the locked disk as a raw partition. Or you may unlock the bitlocked partition and image it, but this is pretty much dangerous if something goes wrong.

MerleOne

Post by MerleOne » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:56 am

Thanks !
Actually the partition is unlocked, it's the system partition but R-Drive Image sees it as encrypted. And handles it as RAW. I tried with another product and VSS, this time the image is no longer encrypted. I will try using VSS only, just in case... And report here !

MerleOne

Post by MerleOne » Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:05 pm

Hi again,
Actually the solution was right in front of my eyes...
I first image the whole drive (line 1) including the bltlocker protected partition (C:) then I image the C: "pure volume" drive (line 3) and usage is back to normal...
And using VSS only didn't change anything.