Latest update and hard links

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
RForce

Latest update and hard links

Post by RForce » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:32 pm

Can anyone confirm that the hard links issues are over with and that when I select a folder with shortcuts, only a shortcut file is selected and not the contents of the folder linked to?

That is, when I select Documents and it has a My Pictures shortcut pointing to Pictures, will it only select the actual data within Documents or does it still grab the Pictures too? I ponied up for the update in May (which expired in June) to find that it still wasn't working. Even though it is only a couple hundred dollars, I don't want to waste my money on a program that is still broken.

RForce

Re: Latest update and hard links

Post by RForce » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:26 am

I take the silence as confirmation that it still hasn't been fixed.

abolibibelot

Post by abolibibelot » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:42 pm

(I silently join you in waiting for an answer to this question... One more soul among us and we will be a crowd! By the way I had a problem of high CPU usage when trying v. 8.14.179611 on Windows 7, as mentioned here.)

“But the Vampire who makes us gentle orders that we satisfy ourselves with what she's leaving us, or otherwise that we shall be funnier.
To roll to the wounds, by the boring wind and the sea ; to the ordeals, by the silence of the murderous water and wind ; to the laughing tortures, in their atrociously stormy silence.” -- Arthur Rimbaud

RForce

Post by RForce » Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:50 pm

Still no response...weird.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:07 pm

Sorry for a very long delay in our response, we decided to carry out some additional tests to triple-check that we have fixed the problem. Actually, we have completely overhauled symlink processing.
In addition to bugfixing, we slightly altered the way symlinks and their target are searched for and marked for recovery.
Now you can completely hide symlinks and leave only real folders and files visible. There are two ways for doing this: by using masks (all versions) and by selecting the "Don't show symbolic links by default (Technician version)" option.
If you prefer to see the symlinks, they will be marked for recovery in the following way:
If only the symlink is marked for recovery, it will be recovered as a real object (its target).
If only the real object is marked for recovery, it will be recovered as a real object.
If both the symlink and its target are selected for recovery, the target will be recovered as the real object, and the symlink will be recovered as the symlink.

RForce

Post by RForce » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:05 am

Why can't R-Studio just treat the symlink / shortcut file simply as a file? That is, when I select it, I am only selecting the shortcut and not what it is pointing to. The filtering out the symlinks will work, I'm sure, but it is an odd way of handling it.