>1gb of recovered data from 256MB memory card

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
Step

>1gb of recovered data from 256MB memory card

Post by Step » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:38 pm

Hi,
I was recently asked to recover data from a formatted 256MB memory card. The card had been used in a Canon IXUS 500 camera. The data was easily recovered using R-Studio software and it included 21 avi video files amounting to 1GB of data. There were also sixty eight jpg image files amounting to 52.6MB of data.

I gave the recovered files back to their owner on a DVD as the files simply wouldn't have fitted back onto the memory card.

So how on earth can over 1GB of data be recovered from a 256MB memory card?

A different brand of data recovery software produced much the same results. Presumably the data is recovered in an uncompressed state. Anyone happen to know any more about what was going on?

Many thanks

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: >1gb of recovered data from 256MB memory card

Post by Alt » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:59 am

That is possible if you recovered files from both the folder/file tree and from Extra Found Files. Actually, you recovered the same files several times, some of video files may overlap.

Step

Re: >1GB of recovered data from 256MB memory card

Post by Step » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:36 am

Hi,

I don't think that really explains what happenned. If I create a folder and put a single copy of each of the recovered avi files into it, the total data stored in the folder adds up to 1GB. Some of the recovered avi files are 150MB in size and are intact and able to be played. All this from a 256MB memory card!

>That is possible if you recovered files from both the folder/file tree and from Extra Found Files. Actually, you recovered the same files several times,
> some of video files may overlap.