Files not readable

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
aldinho

Files not readable

Post by aldinho » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:21 pm

I have two almost identical WD 750 GB HDD-s and I made huge mistake when I was trying to install Windows with bootcamp on my Mac Pro. I formatted wrong HDD. I formatted one with data that is very important to me, it partition was HFS at time. I realized this after disk was formatted and installation on the way...at least part of copying windows files was over. I than used R-Studio to rescue data on my other computer(PC) and try to salvage data. After R-Studio scan was done I was thrilled cause it seemed almost all data is there but then my problem started. All of data I saved from scan is unusable and not readable on PC. Everything seems OK file sizes and files but files are unusable. Please Help, don't know what to do.

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Files not readable

Post by Alt » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:15 am

Try to use Known File Types.
http://www.unformat-unerase.com/Unforma ... index.html -> Advanced Data Recovery -> Disk Scan -> Known File Types

aldinho

Post by aldinho » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:42 am

Thanks for fast response. I tried Known File Types and files seems readable but names are weird and I don't know what is what and there is not small number of files in question, actually mostly I only have numbers as file names. Folder structure and real file names is very important to me, can I get real names and folder structure ?

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:27 am

No, unfortunately Known File Types can only restore files themselves, not their names and folder structure.

aldinho

Post by aldinho » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:44 am

Would using different version of R-Studio changed anything like maybe using Mac version and trying to get files from Mac ? And what do you propose I do since I can see my old file structure and files but cant recover them, is there any chance to recover them except via Known File Types.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:51 am

1. Different versions won't help, as they use the same code for data recovery tasks.
2. I can't say much without seeing the actual data. At least, Known File Types will save the data.