R-Studio recover smaller size than expected

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
grin_canada

R-Studio recover smaller size than expected

Post by grin_canada » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:10 pm

Hello, I run R-Studio (scan) and found my files that I had before re-formatting . The size looked OK. I recovered some of them and foud that just 50% keept the same size , other got smaller size (or just 0). Am I doing wrong? Why sizes were changed?

hope2006

Re: R-Studio recover smaller size than expected

Post by hope2006 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:54 am

I had such "problem" before. Check if you do restoration just shortcuts they usually has small size. If you do so then please note it is not real files you probably are looking for. They are just link to real files. Try to recall where you real files were and do recover them .In my case all my shortcut had the same names as the file and it confused me much.

Friday14

Re: R-Studio recover smaller size than expected

Post by Friday14 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:04 am

I had such case before. My PC was attacked (i do not know what it was, really was bad)
I saw how my hard started working like crazy , i turn off power but it was late
tried to find my data (just wish my picture and some docs files back, not many around 20-30 or so)
scanned, find my (I thought) previous file system , the size was OK, recovered and found that the file has 0 size.
I am noyt IT guru but I did some internet such, probably virus did wipe my file system or so. the size of the file that rstudio found it was file had before. when you do recovery the real size is determined how much (blocks) hdd space such file has. probably such files had no any spoace allocated (based on file system info was found). Note sure if i am right but anyway maybe it i the case :(