Recovery of Nikon .NEF file

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
ChaBonOR

Recovery of Nikon .NEF file

Post by ChaBonOR » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:59 am

Hello,

I am using R-Studio 4.0, and trying to recover a deleted .NEF (Nikon raw image file) from CompactFlash media.

When I realized I had accidentally deleted the image in the camera, I immediately turned off the camera and removed the card, so that I wouldn't overwrite the data with a new image. But when I try to recover the file, R-Studio says the file size is 0.

I have two questions: Do newer versions of R-Studio have the .NEF file type in the list of Known File Types?

Is there anyway that I can view the sectors between the existing files on the media? The card had been recently formatted and there are only 35 images on the card. The file that was deleted was about mid-way through the images, and I assume there's a "hole" in the contiguous band of image files. Is there anyway that I can recover the data in the "hole" and write it to a new .NEF file?

Thanks,
Charles

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Recovery of Nikon .NEF file

Post by Alt » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:58 pm

I'll answer you tomorrow with detailed information. OK?

ChaBonOR

Post by ChaBonOR » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:48 pm

Ok, thank you, Alt!

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:52 pm

1. Well, the new build of R-Studio 4.6 supports nef in Known File Types.
You may download the trial version and check if it finds the file. Just preview it and if it is OK, register the new version.

2. In the Hex/Decimal Editor, search for HEX 4d 4d 00 2a 00 00 00 08. This is the beginning of the nef file.

ChaBonOR

Post by ChaBonOR » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:09 pm

Thanks for the help, Alt.

If I purchase "R-STUDIO Extended Customer Service for 2 years", will that give me a registration key for the current version so that I can upgrade the 4.0 version I have?

-Charles

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:46 am

Please, contact our support.

Step

Post by Step » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:11 am

Hi,
When R-Studio version 4.6 build 127535 (latest) is started and I open 'Known File Types' and expand the 'Graphics/Picture' section there is an option for ''Nikon RAW image (.nef)' If this option is selected and the 'Ok' button is clicked, the window closes. If 'Known File Types' is then re-opened, the 'Nikon RAW image (.nef)' option is now unselected.

The same thing happens with the 'JPEG Digital Camera (.jpg)' option.

Best wishes.

Jean-Eric

Post by Jean-Eric » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:19 am

Hello,

I am using the french release of R-Studio 4.6 and I can't find the NEF extension in the known file.

Coudl someone help me?

Regards

Jean-Eric

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:27 am

Please check that you have updated R-Studio to the latest build. Help -> Check for updates.
The Nikon RAW file should be in the Graphics/Picture group.