Password Protection

Disk backup and restore, partition imaging and cloning, and drive copy using R-Drive Image.
Forum rules
Discussion on the R-Drive Image software
alazanowski

Password Protection

Post by alazanowski » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:23 pm

I know im probably blowing up the forums with questions, but it will probably be useful for others:). I noticed a VERY cool function of being able to password protect these backup files. I was curious on one thing, since it plays into how my backups will be working (designing out for buying an unlimited site license).

With the password protection, what does it change in the backup file? Does it encrypt the data, or just change some small meta data that is used to protect the rest of the file from being opened?

The reason i am asking, is we are looking at deduplication of the files r-drive creates to bring back to our central depository. If it encrypts the file, obviously there would be no deduplication value since the files will no longer be similar between each other. However, if they just change some meta data in front, we can keep them password protected for security reasons but be able to gain some deduplication value between backup copies.

Thank you for your time!

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Password Protection

Post by Alt » Sat May 01, 2010 5:44 am

This is just small metadata changes.