rebuilding windows software RAID 0 stripe

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
natjencks

rebuilding windows software RAID 0 stripe

Post by natjencks » Mon May 03, 2010 4:38 pm

I have a windows software RAID 0 stripe set containing 2 disks. Windows has lost track of the stripe set and now sees the two disks as seperate as opposed to belonging to single stripe set.

When I Build a Virtual Block RAID, and add my two disks using the default block size of 64KB, and 0 offset, and do a partial scan it reveals the directory structure on the disk. Does this mean that the RAID parameters are correct? I have been told that Windows typically uses an offset of 63 and a block size of 16 for software stripe sets.

Thanks in Advance!
best-
-Nat

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: rebuilding windows software RAID 0 stripe

Post by Alt » Tue May 04, 2010 5:27 am

Most likely, yes, the parameters are correct.
The best way is to preview a file, large enough. For your case, a file size of more than 128KB is enough.

natjencks

Post by natjencks » Tue May 04, 2010 6:11 pm

After letting r-studio scan the array briefly with these settings I tried restoring a few of the files. The text files that I restored seemed fine, but the image files that I restored were either completely unreadable, or had strange banding through them.

Could this be the result of incorrect RAID parameters, or is this the result of some other form of corruption?

Thanks!
-Nat

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Wed May 05, 2010 5:01 am

Most likely, this is due to incorrect RAID parameters.
It's hard to say what is wrong by looking at such images.