Having a data recovery issue, help!

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
carolineg

New to r-studio and I'm rather confused!

Post by carolineg » Thu May 06, 2010 4:43 am

I don't know if anyone can help me but I've really confused trying to recover some data.

I have an 80GB hard drive which I reformatted (from FAT to HFS) and then put about 35GB worth of stuff back on it. Turns out the stuff that was on it originally wasn't backed up and was needed. Now using R-Studio to recover it, but most of the recognized bits are coming up red. It's also not restoring anything to its original structure as I'm having to do each section seperately. What am I doing wrong? How to do I get it to restore everything to how it was, though obviously without the stuff that was overwritten. Everything is just coming out in folders based on their extensions.

Any help is majorly appreciated, I need this done ASAP and am rather confused! Thanks in advance :)

carolineg

Having a data recovery issue, help!

Post by carolineg » Thu May 06, 2010 4:51 am

I'm completely new to data recovery so hoping someone can help me!

I've got an 80GB hard drive which was reformatted (from FAT to HFS) and then had about 35GB of data put on to it after the format. Now it turns out that the original data was needed but wasn't backed up, so I have to try and get it back. I've run an R-Studio scan and it seems to have found stuff, but I'm trying to work out how to put it all back together to how it was, or as close to that as possible. After the scan there are a list of recognised sections, one in green which is the stuff from after the format, there's an extra files found section, two sections in orange and about 10 in red. It seems to only let me recover each of those individually. How do I recover everything to it's original structure? I say everything but I mean everything that is left on it and hasn't been damaged or overwritten.

Any advice greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Having a data recovery issue, help!

Post by Alt » Thu May 06, 2010 6:12 am

Unfortunately, you won't be able to restore the original folder tree as well as the file names, as the information about them is completely overwritten. You may though recover some files that are on the not-overwritten area of the disk. Those files are on the Extra found Files folder.