Can R-Studio recover SDHC

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
varsos

Can R-Studio recover SDHC

Post by varsos » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:34 pm

Hi,

I have a 16GB SDHC card that has become corrupt. It is probably the FAT table. Accessing from the PC, prompts to format it.
I have used another revovery utility to see if the files are there, and it found them, but only JPG files.
The card has AVCHD video on it, and I want to recover it.

Can R-studio recover any type of file from a card in this condition?
It seems like a small price to pay for recovering the video, but I wanted to make sure it can do that.

I would appreciate any feedback.

varsos

varsos

Re: Can R-Studio recover SDHC

Post by varsos » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:51 pm

BTW, the files i want to recover are video files with .mts extension.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:21 pm

If your computer sees the card, R-Studio will be able to analyze the data. You may install R-Studio in the demo mode and try to find the files using scan for Known File Types.
R-Studio Help -> Data Recovery Using R-Studio -> Advanced Data Recovery -> Disk Scan -> Known File Types
R-Studio will will perform all actions except actual data recovery. If it finds the files, you may buy it, register, and recover the files.

varsos

Post by varsos » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:22 am

I bought a copy and scanned the card.
Although the AVCHD .mts file type is not on the list, it did display those file types and I was able to recover them to my local drive.
However, it seems that it did not do a good job. In some cases it seems that multiple files were merged into one, and a few were corrupt.
I am suspecting that because the filetype does not exist, it may not have enough info to find the start and end of the file properly.
I am guessing here, I do not know how the tool works to make a good guess.

Anyone know what the FileType definition is for AVCHD video, *.mts or *.m2ts files?

The camera is Canon HF10 and it writes the files with an MTS extension. The file is a video container format.
Is there a way to create a filetype by looking at the hex data of an existing one?

I hope that by defining the filetype, a new scan will be able to recover the files properly.

Thanks

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:35 am

Well, the problem is that if the files are corrupt on the source (on your flash card in your case), neither R-Studio nor any other data recovery software can recover them.
There is another problem with files like camera movies, photos, etc. Although there are some basic standards to their formats, each manufacturer slightly modifies it for its convenience. Such modifications usually do not affect how most image/movie editing programs work with them, but makes search for such files more difficult for data recovery software. We simply cannot keep up with all those modifications because they are too many.
That is why we made it possible for out user to specify their own file types to search for, though that requires some technical knowledge.
R-Studio Help -> Data Recovery Using R-Studio -> Advanced Data Recovery -> Customizing File Types

vasilik

Post by vasilik » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:29 pm

Hi,
I have the same problem with the .mts video files. Can you provide me a solution to recover it with success ? These files are very common as there are the main video files for Sony HD videocameras...

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:38 am

I need several files of this type to create a Known File Type description for it. Unfortunately, I don't have such camera and can't do it myself. Can you provide me with them. 10-15 sec is more than enough.

Pedro123

Post by Pedro123 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:10 pm

Hi,
Any progess on this? I also need to recover some .mts files, was this file type ever added? Thanks!

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:06 pm

We still need the video files.

Pyromaniac

Post by Pyromaniac » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:28 am

I uploaded some Videos from my Canon HF 10 here:
http://rapidshare.com/files/338771857/*******