RAID 5 Recovery

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
dsmith004

RAID 5 Recovery

Post by dsmith004 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:33 am

Original equipment: Intel D4 CPU and Intel motherboard
4x 200GB Maxtor drives in RAID 5

Problem: How do I create a Virtual drive and insert the Recognized files in the Virtual Drive?

The original Intel Motherboard's RAID controller died.

I built a new Windows 7 32 Bit Professional PC with a 1TB drive and installed the 4x 200GB drives as one volume.
I scan the volume and see the files in a series or orange Recognizednnn (where n= some integer).
I can see the files with a file size and original creation date/time.
When I try to recover files I get a zero byte copy.

Further examination reveals there are many Recognizednnn with the same file structure and files.

My assumption is to successful recover these files the Recognizednnn will have to be agglomerated on either one physical drive or a virtual drive.

My issue is methodology. I apparently am doing something wrong.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Regards,
Dale

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: RAID 5 Recovery

Post by Alt » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:29 am

The first thing is to be sure that you created the Virtual RAID5 with correct parameters. Maybe, this article will help you:
http://www.r-tt.com/Articles/Finding_RA ... ndex.shtml
Next is to select a correct Recognizednnn partition from a number of them. I'd see on the start and size parameters and compare them with those for the real partition.
And an important question: are those files that have 0 size upon recovery large (100MB+)? If yes, try to select those of medium size when recovering files for test purposes.

dsmith004

Re: RAID 5 Recovery

Post by dsmith004 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:49 am

Thank you for the information. I will create image files and try this procedure.

Thank you.