Error #300 when spanning on bootable USB

Disk backup and restore, partition imaging and cloning, and drive copy using R-Drive Image.
Forum rules
Discussion on the R-Drive Image software

Error #300 when spanning on bootable USB

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:59 pm

Hi,
Using the latest build of RDrive, I have created a bootable 32 GB Flash Drive with RDrive on it.
I can successfully boot off of this drive, and the program launches and performs a backup. This backup spans 3 files: 2 x 4095MB and 1 x 650MB.
I get the message that the backup completes successfully, however when I check the integrity of the backup, I either get "Error 300" or a message stating the backup is corrupt. I am selecting the last file of the set, but it makes no difference which file I choose actually.

Note I also used the prior build of RDrive and received the same result, so this is consistent. I have twice formatted and created the bootable flashdrive...

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Error #300 when spanning on bootable USB

Post by Alt » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:24 am

Guest wrote:Hi,
This backup spans 3 files: 2 x 4095MB and 1 x 650MB.
Most likely, you've formatted the drive as a FAT32 volume. It can't store files larger than 2 GB.
If this is not the case, please let us know an we'll continue solving this problem.

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:45 am

Most likely, you've formatted the drive as a FAT32 volume. It can't store files larger than 2 GB.
If this is not the case, please let us know an we'll continue solving this problem.
OK, so two notes from me:

1. Actually FAT32 can recognize files up to 4GB, according the Microsoft website :-)
2. I used the actual R Drive utility to create the boot drive, and when I boot off this device to create a backup, the bootable version of RDrive has automatically selected "Automatic" for the splitting of volume sizes, so I can only assume this is a problem of sorts with the program either determining or subsequently reading the correct file size (4 gb each).

Can someone else try this simple process?
1. Use the installed version of Rdrive to create a bootable flash drive. It should be formatted in FAT32 and be at least 8 gb in size for this test
2. Boot off the device, and hopefully select a target that is at least 6 gb in size so that it automatically splits the backup volumes
3. Ensure in the options that "Automatic" is pre-selected by RDrive for the split file sizes
4. Once backup is complete, use the included "Check integrity of backup" on the backup you just created...it should return an error similar to mine...

If this is the case, then someone should look at the exact file size RDrive is using when "Automatic" is used, and maybe reduce it?

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:44 am

UPDATE:
OK, so I tried another backup, this time instructing RDrive to split the backup into file sets just under 4 gb in size. Now when I try to check the backup integrity I get error# 3400.

???

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:58 pm

Please, contact our techsupport with this problem. Please, include a reference to this topic. They will help you in solving this problem.