Create image of running Windows system partition

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
guyr

Create image of running Windows system partition

Post by guyr » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:04 am

I've rebuilt my desktop after a hard drive failure (from which I successfully recovered files, thanks to R-Studio Emergency.) Now, I'd like to take some pro-active images of my new installation in case of future failures. Hopefully, I'll then be able to recover using the image files.

My question regards running Create Image from R-Studio while Windows is running. I did this (selecting compressed image) and it completed without error. But of course I have no way of knowing if the image file actually contains everything needed for a complete restore. Normally, Windows won't allow access to open files. Has R-Studio somehow managed to address this limitation?

Just to be sure, I loaded R-Studio Emergency on a USB thumb drive, rebooted my computer with it, and created another (compressed) image file that way. It is almost identical in size to the one I did under Windows.

I'd like to just run Create Image from running Windows if that can copy all in-use system files. Thanks.

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Create image of running Windows system partition

Post by Alt » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:46 pm

R-Studio can create images of system partitions. It bypasses those limitations.

Post by Guest » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:07 pm

Great! Thanks for the quick reply, Alt. Backing up the partitions from within Windows is much easier than booting from a USB flash drive.

guyr

Post by guyr » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:08 pm

Great, thanks for the quick reply, Alt. Running from within Windows is much easier than rebooting to a USB flash drive.