R-Drive Bootable Media on Mac OS X ?

Disk backup and restore, partition imaging and cloning, and drive copy using R-Drive Image.
Forum rules
Discussion on the R-Drive Image software
MerleOne

R-Drive Bootable Media on Mac OS X ?

Post by MerleOne » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:48 am

Hi,

Is it possible to use R-TT Drive Image bootable media to backup (full & diff modes) the HFS+ partition of a MacBook ?

Thanks.

MerleOne

Can't create startup disk (with trial version)

Post by MerleOne » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:37 am

Hi,
I have installed the trial version of R-Drive Image, V4.7. I want to try the recovery media (CD/DVD) on a MacBook, but I can't burn it : it fails with an error message saying "Can't read file". I have tried also creating a .iso file or even a floppy. Each time it fails. Am I missing something ?
Thanks.

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Can't create startup disk (with trial version)

Post by Alt » Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:54 am

An important question: does that happen when you try to burn the image, or when you are actually starting the MacBook. If it's the latter, please remember that the R-Drive Image trial bootable version launched from startup disks (either 2 floppy disks or a CD) is fully functional but its functionality can be tested on the same PC where R-Drive Image trial Windows version is installed ONLY.

MerleOne

Post by MerleOne » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:02 am

Alt wrote:An important question: does that happen when you try to burn the image, or when you are actually starting the MacBook. If it's the latter, please remember that the R-Drive Image trial bootable version launched from startup disks (either 2 floppy disks or a CD) is fully functional but its functionality can be tested on the same PC where R-Drive Image trial Windows version is installed ONLY.
It's when I try to burn/create an iso file that the error occurs. I used R-Drive Image 4.4 trial version a while ago and had no problem creating the bootable media. I know that I won't be able to use on the macbook, but I still hoped that I could check that the HFS+ partitions are seen correctly by the bootable version.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:21 am

I'll check the problem.

MerleOne

Post by MerleOne » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:40 pm

Solved !

I tried the installation and the startup media creation while Shadow Defender was active on my system. After a reboot, and SD being deactivated, I was able to create the iso file I was looking for. Next step is to boot my MacBook with the startup CD and see if the HFS+ partitions are well recognized.

Thanks for your support.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:40 pm

It would be interesting to know about the results.

MerleOne

Post by MerleOne » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:08 pm

Alt wrote:It would be interesting to know about the results.
Alas the internal HDD is not recognized, only the SD card reader and the external USB drive that was connected. Maybe by tweaking the startup CD it could be done but I need a solution that works immediately. I guess I'll have to wait for the Mac Version of R-Drive, if it is in R-TT roadmap...

Thanks for your help.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:09 am

It might be due to trial version limitations, too. I'll check if it's possible with a fully registered version.

MerleOne

Re: R-Drive Bootable Media on Mac OS X ?

Post by MerleOne » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:35 pm

According to R-TT support, the limitation only appears at the last moment. I am pretty sure the non-detection of the HFS+ partition will still be there, but, as you proposed, there is nothing like a "live" trial. Thanks for letting us know how it turns.