Scheduling mixture of daily and weekly backups

Disk backup and restore, partition imaging and cloning, and drive copy using R-Drive Image.
Forum rules
Discussion on the R-Drive Image software
traycer

Scheduling mixture of daily and weekly backups

Post by traycer » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:21 am

I'm not entirely sure how backup images vs backup sets work, and their relation to the task scheduler. Here is what I would like to do, which I think is pretty simple:
  • create a new full backup of the boot drive every Monday morning at 6:00 am
  • create a new incremental backup of the boot drive every Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat and Sun morning at 6:00 am
  • keep the most recent 14 days of daily backups
  • keep the most recent 12 weeks of full backups
This effectively gives me daily snapshots for the most recent 14 days, and weekly snapshots for the most recent 3 months. How can I configure backup sets and the scheduler to achieve this?

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Scheduling mixture of daily and weekly backups

Post by Alt » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:03 pm

My suggestion: You may use not only the R-Drive Image built-in scheduler, but also some .bat files with system commands like copy, del, etc. You may specify them on the Backup options panel.

traycer

Post by traycer » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:35 am

I've been using Bourne shell scripts (under cygwin) to help out with certain tasks. Does R-Drive Image pass any sort of command line arguments to the supplied programs or batch files (e.g., filename of the backup set) to help them along? Or do I need to hardcode that information into the script?

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:21 pm

Yes it passes, although you need to close them in "".
If you want to use .bat files, you need to use cmd.exe /c before the bat files.
R-Drive Image sets its own environment parameters. See R-Drive Image Help -> Technical Information -> Creating Consistent Point-in-Time Backups.