dot-files on ext3?

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
cemar

dot-files on ext3?

Post by cemar » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:37 am

Hello all,

I have a Linux-driven RAID 1 (ext3). One drive died, and while recovering with the second disk I accidently deleted folders with some 600 GB data in. Using R-Linux on XP, I recovered roughly 1/3 so far, and had just minor problems with some unimportant files in deep folder structures. The tool works great, thank you very much!!

I noticed now though that a certain file is entirely missing, while everything else in that folder is visible in R-Linux and recoverable. That file had the name ".ptc". When I view/edit the folder where this file resides, I can still see the filename in ANSI view. This is the only file which starts with a dot in the filename I know of, so I can't compare ´. It was the only file in that folder too, everything else were folders. There is also an /opt directory with various but typical linux data in. On a quick check I couldn't find any dot-files in there, too.

To summarize: A dot-file is not shown while recovering in R-Linux, but I know it's been there.
My question: Is the file lost, or did I just miss a checkbox*? Or is it possible that for some reason R-Linux ignores dot-files?

* I menued and right-clicked a lot though. A search for "dot" in this Forum returned no useful results for me, too.

Any hint would be appreciated! Thanks, cemar

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: dot-files on ext3?

Post by Alt » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:59 am

We'd like to see the content of this folder to understand what's wrong.
Right-click the folder, then select View/Edit on the shortcut menu. In the Text/hexadecimal viewer, select Tools -> Select All, then Tools -> Save to binary file.
Then send the file to me to raptorbck (at) gmail (dot) com

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:30 pm

What we've found:
R-Studio parses the directories correctly. So the inode of the directory the record in the parent director references to is already occupied by some other file, not a directory.

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:32 am

Alt wrote:What we've found:
R-Studio parses the directories correctly. So the inode of the directory the record in the parent director references to is already occupied by some other file, not a directory.
Ok, thanks. Is there anything I can do about it?

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:07 am

I'm afraid, the data of the directory is overwritten by the file's data, and nothing can be done about this.

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:04 am

I tried some other tools, but none came even close to yours. Thank you very much for this freeware.