File exclusions

Disk backup and restore, partition imaging and cloning, and drive copy using R-Drive Image.
Forum rules
Discussion on the R-Drive Image software
MerleOne

File exclusions

Post by MerleOne » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:16 pm

Hi,
I couldn't find anywhere if pagefile.sys and hibernate.sys (content) are excluded when imaging the partition that contains them ?

Also, for the next release, it would be nice to be able to exclude user-selected files.

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: File exclusions

Post by Alt » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:28 pm

The problem is that R-Drive Image makes an image of an entire disk, not files. It copies the disk byte by byte, sector by sector, and simply does not know anything about files.
By the way, you you restore data back to the system disk, and the system does not find the pagefile.sys, it most likely won't start at all.

MerleOne

Post by MerleOne » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:54 pm

Thanks for the answer.

ActuaIly I don't totally agree. Some products work by restoring empty files (full of zeros) when they are excluded from the image backup. And pagefile.sys is recreated by the system when missing.

Anyway, I take it that the answer is no ?

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:10 am

Yes, the answer is no, with one exception. pagefile.sys and hibernate.sys are excluded if MS VSS snapshot provider is selected on the Backup Options panel.

MerleOne

Post by MerleOne » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:51 am

Thanks ! This is useful to know. Even if on my VISTA system, using VSS can be tricky : if interrupted, I get a BSOD almost each time.