Need some help with RAID recovery

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
pcstudio2

Need some help with RAID recovery

Post by pcstudio2 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:31 am

RAID 5 3x146Gb SATA SAS disks from HP server, with Win 2003 server. No further information about disk order, stripe sizes, parity, rotation, etc. The client refers the array was working at least a month with only two disks (doesnt know what disks), and after the failure of the second disk he brings all to me.

Actions taken:

- We image all 3 disks encountering minor problems (bad sectors) in two of them.
- Try R-Studio with manual parameters (2-1-0, left asynchronous (continuous), 64k, seems to be the closest one because is the only configuration who shows me the second partition with name), but only on this certain order we can see 2 partitions, with little or no success on data retrieval.

- I think I will encounter problems when rebuild the array using 3 disks to reconstruct because maybe at least one have different information (due the first failure).
- We dont know what "pair" was the good ones, so we are testing 0-1, 1-2, 0-3, etc, but until today we have no better results.
- I am studying from R-Studio support page http://www.r-tt.com/Articles/Finding_RA ... ndex.shtml but I think there is some things I dont understand very well.
- I want to ask you everyone about ideas or procedures to solve this problem...

Thank you in advance!

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Need some help with RAID recovery

Post by Alt » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:17 am

pcstudio2 wrote: - I am studying from R-Studio support page http://www.r-tt.com/Articles/Finding_RA ... ndex.shtml but I think there is some things I dont understand very well.
What are these things? Maybe I can clarify them?
pcstudio2 wrote: - I want to ask you everyone about ideas or procedures to solve this problem...
I'd do the following:
1. Using the procedure described in the article, determine the RAID parameters and create a virtual RAID with all three disks.
2. Sort the files by modification data.
3. Disconnect disks one by one and look at the files of the last month. If they are correct, the disconnected disk is the first failed one.