Index.dat files not wiped.

A place to discuss data and privacy protection, file and disk wipe, computer cleaning, and removing traces of user activity with R-Wipe & Clean.
Forum rules
Discussion on the R-Wipe & Clean and R-Crypto software
Digibitz

Index.dat files not wiped.

Post by Digibitz » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:23 pm

I'm using Windows 7 and R-Wipe & Clean 9.2 .
When I check the Index.dat files with another application , they have not been wiped.
Am I missing something in the settings ?
Also, does the Pagefile get wiped ? I can't see it listed in the settings and I'm wondering if it is being missed like the index.dat files.

Thanx

Digibitz

Re: Index.dat files not wiped.

Post by Digibitz » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:41 am

Ok. After much experimentation, it appears that in fact R-Wipe & Clean does not wipe index.dat files.
Pity, it would be good if I didn't have to use another application as well to get the full job done properly.....

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:35 am

Please, check that you have
1. selected Tools -> Settings -> Docs and Internet -> Wipe files before deleting and Delete .dat files after cleaning.
2. selected all respective items in the BarView or TreeView.
You may also enable logging on Tools -> Settings -> Logs tab and see what R-Wipe & Clean actually does with the .dat files.

Digibitz

Post by Digibitz » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:26 pm

Thanks for your reply.
I did have the 'wipe files before deleting' and the 'delete .dat files after cleaning ' boxes and all the displayed items in the tree view checked.
I enabled logging as you suggested. The log reported that that the index files were locked and a restart was required.
The log was not written to further at restart and the index files had not been deleted or wiped.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:32 am

Please, contact our tech support with this problem. They will help you in solving it. Please, provide them a reference to this topic.