MBR - When is it backed up, when is it restored

Disk backup and restore, partition imaging and cloning, and drive copy using R-Drive Image.
Forum rules
Discussion on the R-Drive Image software
henderbc2

MBR - When is it backed up, when is it restored

Post by henderbc2 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:18 am

I need to know how the MBR is handled in R-Drive Image:

1) Is there any documentation giving MBR handling details? If not,

2) When a full-disk image is made, is the MBR stored in the image? Is it automatically restored when the disk is restored from the image file?

3) When a single partition image is made, is the MBR always stored in the image? Sometimes? I have seen cases where the rescue version of R-Drive Image asks whether to restore the MBR but I have no idea what the rules are.

4) According to the documentation, the scripting command 'fixmbr' claims to rewrite the MBR, but with what? A generic MBR? In this case, what happens to things like the partition table and the disk signature?

I have put these questions to tech support, but they don't appear to know the answer. If anybody can answer these questions, I will be most appreciative.

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: MBR - When is it backed up, when is it restored

Post by Alt » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:23 pm

The MBR and loader are always stored, both when the entire HDD or one/several partitions thereof are being backed up.
2. By default, the MBR is restored when the entire HDD is restored, or when a partition(s) are restored if there is no an MBR or/and loader on the disk to which the partition(s) are being restored.
3. The startup version asks what to do if an active partition is being restored to the disk which MBR contains a loader different from the loader in the image file.
4. Overwrites a loader in the MBR with the loader stored in R-Drive Image. It doesn't change the Partition table and disk signature.

henderbc

Post by henderbc » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:36 pm

Thanks - that helps a lot.
A clarification on 2):
2. By default, the MBR is restored when the entire HDD is restored, or when a partition(s) are restored if there is no an MBR or/and loader on the disk to which the partition(s) are being restored.
If I restore an image of a single partition which is not the boot partition to a drive that has been wiped clean (including the MBR), will the MBR still be rewritten from a copy in the partition image?

Bruce

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:50 am

In this case, R-Drive Image creates all records necessary for the disk to become accessible. It copies the MBR from the image.