1TB LaCie Big Disk Extreme

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
laciebombdisk

1TB LaCie Big Disk Extreme

Post by laciebombdisk » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:09 pm

Hi - the controller board and one of the hard drive boards died in my LaCie Big Disk Extreme. I made a byte-for-byte disk image of the good drive, then put its controller board on the drive with the bad board, and connected it via a USB SATA adapter.

With R-Studio I am now scanning this former RAID 0 (now comprised of one disk image and one hard drive) for files but I don't know if that will work, and what settings to use. The scan it's doing is going to take 1 day 14 hours. Is there just a way to attempt a re-stripe and then shouldn't the file system still be intact? What settings should I use for this to work most effectively?

Thanks,
Eric

laciebombdisk

Re: 1TB LaCie Big Disk Extreme

Post by laciebombdisk » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:02 pm

I figured it out. I was following directions posted to an Apple forum by a user named Adam Sebire: http://discussions.info.apple.com/threa ... ID=2198621 When I was making the Virtual Block Raid, I was dragging the wrong item from the device list into the RAID; I was dragging the somewhat visible volume name instead of dragging in the device itself. After I dragged in the two devices and then set the block size to 256 and clicked Apply, then in about 1 minute I had a full list of all files on the two drives, and now I'm recovering that data to a new drive.

Thank you R-Studio!