Raid 0 Stripe Help Please

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
drounding

Raid 0 Stripe Help Please

Post by drounding » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:34 pm

I am trying to recover data from a LaCie Bigdisk Extreme which contains two 250Gb drives. It went faulty due the (apparently infamous faulty power supply). I have removed the two drives and have them both connected on USB to the computer.

I can see the one drive in R-Studio OK with it's partition but only the drive is seen on the other one, no partition is seen. I have scanned that drive and the results show a lot of recognised data areas.

I don't know how to proceed next to try and repair the second drive so the partition can be seen and so it can then be added to the virtual array to recover the data.

Can anyone helps please?

TIA

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Raid 0 Stripe Help Please

Post by Alt » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:56 am

You don't have to find a partition on the second drive. Just add the drive to the virtual RAID0.
In fact, the partition is placed on the both drives of your RAID0. The boot record and file table of the partition are on the first drive, so R-Studio has found it and recognized a partition on the drive.

drounding

Post by drounding » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:13 am

Thank you - I'll give that a try.

drounding

Post by drounding » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:42 am

Unfortunately the second drive was not in good shape - a number of files where recoverable but not the bulk of them.

Lesson learnt - RAID1 in future, and after two failures I certainly wouldn't buy another LaCie drive with that power supply.

R-Studio is great software though and for any other configuration I would be confident on good chances of data recovery.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:24 am

RAID0 is suitable only for high-speed access to temporary files. If you need high speed and reasonable reliability in data storage, use RAID5. Given the cost of modern high-capacity drives, it's not a big deal when compared with the cost of data stored on it.