Novice needs some Hand-Holding on Recovery

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
drgrafix

Novice needs some Hand-Holding on Recovery

Post by drgrafix » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:30 pm

I was able to use the demo program to take a peek at my supposedly ailing 320 Gig eSata drive so I purchased R-Data. I ran a scan which took around 11 hours or so. I inserted a 4GB USB stick in my USB port to save the 80 MB file, but it refused to allow me to do that, insisting I have to put that special file in My Documents/User etc. so I went along with that. So now, 24 hours later, I'm trying to "recover" or extract the files on the problematic drive. No dice, and no basic hand-holding instructions (that I can find or understand) that show you step-by-step how to move the desired file(s) to a new location on another HDD. I have a 500 GB USB HDD plugged in and ready for the recovered files. Oh yeah... while I tried highlight and move a file, the program crashed. So I restarted and it wanted to do another 11 hour scan? I don't get it... wasn't the reason a special scan file was created in My Documents so that you don't have to do the same thing over and over? So I have some questions from a novice LOL:

1. Do I have to do an 11 hour scan every time I want to look at this drive?
2. How do I simply move the recovered files from the problematic drive to the new 500GB USB drive?
3. I have several movies that I archived onto this 320 gig drive. Will R-Tools see those files correctly grouped as they are probably in Video_TS files?
3. If I can figure out (with someone's help) how to pull all my desired files off the old 320 Gig drive, can I then reformat that drive once I have extracted/moved all those files off the drive?

Again... while I can follow instructions fairly well, I am not a computer repairman no am I a rocket science guy. I'm a senior citizen who ran into a problem probably by us putting too much data (pictures, movies, etc.) on the 320 Gig drive. Thanks in advance for any/all help.

Doc

drgrafix

Re: Novice needs some Hand-Holding on Recovery

Post by drgrafix » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:37 am

What happened to the speedy 4-hour response? No offense guys, but I'd like to find the answers to my questions.

Mike

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Novice needs some Hand-Holding on Recovery

Post by Alt » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:04 am

You may find detailed instructions in the help (online, or that comes with R-Studio).
For example, you can start from this one: Data Recovery Using R-Studio. From that page, you need to understand, which type of file recovery you need to perform. If your OS sees that problematic disk as a valid logical disk, you'll have to proceed further with the Basic File Recovery. If not, you'll have to scan the hard drive, then determine which recognized partition on it is correct, and then recover files from that partition using the Basic File Recovery.
Answers to your questions:
1. Not if you save scan info during disk scanning. Select Save to file on the Scan dialog box and specify the location for the scan info file. You may load scan info each time you continue working with that disk. I recommend you to scan the first 2 GB of the disk and see the results. Such scan would reveal the file/folder structure of the disk, if it doesn't corrupt severely. If it appears not enough, and you need to scan for known file types, you may continue scanning, using the Advanced dialog box.
2. Just mark the required files, click the Recover Marked button, and select the required place (Output folder) on the Recover dialog box.
3. If the file/folder structure on the disk is not damaged severely, you'll find the files on their right folders. You may select those folders and recover them (and their content) to the new disk preserving their names. If the file/folder structure is damaged severely, files and folders may be not found at all.
4. Yes, if the disk doesn't experience hardware problems. Still, I myself wouldn't store important files on that disk, once it failed.

And please, understand one thing - it's hard to be more precise without seeing the filed disk and actual data on it.