Recover Data from Raid 1 w/ Different Size Drives

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
titon

Recover Data from Raid 1 w/ Different Size Drives

Post by titon » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:52 pm

Ok Guys. I have used and loved R-studio for a LONG time. This is a great program that has really saved my behind many times. Now I had a HECK of a weekend, and need the help of RStudio. Many thing failed to put me in this bind. Any tips or Gudiance would be greatly appreciated.

So here is the deal:

HP Server with 6 Drives, and (3) Raid 1
Raid A (Drive 0 / 1)
Raid B (Drive 2 / 3)
Raid C (Drive 4 / 5)

Raid C is where we will focus our attention.

Raid C was originaly built with two 146GB Hard Drive.
- Several months back Raid C had a drive Failure. We place a 300GB Hard Drive in the Raid.
- Raid C was now 146/300 (with capacity of 146GB).

Recently on Raid C, the 2nd 146 Failed. So the 300GB was the only drive left in Raid C.

Now here is the Kicker.

Shut down the server to inspect the server (all looked well). Turned the server back on, and the Raid Controller DIED!! Before shutting down, I did verify that Raid C files were fully accessible.

So we are in the process of brining up a new server. Raid C contained BAK files, that need to be restored (i'm talking we have daily BAK for months). I just need restore one of them. I went to do a single drive scan of Raid C, which scanned all 300GB. The problem is the results shows NONE of the BAK File. So I am assuming, my scan settings are improper.

So Quick Recap:
- Raid 1 Failed (a while ago)
- Raid 1 Restored by adding Larger Capacity Drive
- Raid 1 Fails again, leaving only Large Cacpity Drive online
- Raid Controller Fail
- Running R-Stuiod on Larger capcity drive (as single drive), and files shown are minimal.

Question - How do I scan the Larger Capacity Drive, using the information from the Smaller drive size?
Do I make a Virtual Raid 1, with a missing "Smaller" capacity drive, to get the right sector and offset?

Any tips would be reatly appreciated.

- Ton

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Recover Data from Raid 1 w/ Different Size Drives

Post by Alt » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:38 pm

Interesting enough. When you connect any drive (healthy, of course) from a RAID 1, the system sees it as a single disk with the data from that RAID 1. Are there chances that the RAID controller had failed long before, and didn't write anything to the larger drive?
Next. When you had scanned the drive, some recognized partitions should appear. You need to look at that partition, which parameters are close to that of the RAID 1. Do you see them?
More information about disk scan is in our on-line help.
When you are talking about finding .BAK files, did you try to sort files by their extensions?

titon

Post by titon » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:08 pm

Alt,

thanks so much for the reply. The data was being written, (i assume). Before the shut down, I was able to access the drive an view the content. I wanted to make sure it was accessible.

The funny part is that I did do a scan of the larger drive as a single. There was only a single "recognized0" folder. The "root" was completely empty. Typically.. even if the drive is in terrible condition, there will still be various recogniable files and folders.

I did look at the various tabs, and there is old content. It is just very weird.

That is why i was asking if there is anyway to scan the larger drive, as if it was a smaller size.

- Ton

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:08 pm

You may create a region on the large disk and scan it. See our on-line help for more information.

titon

Post by titon » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:36 pm

This is a VERY old ticket, but I wanted to give everyone an update, and really how awesome R-Studio is. Just to re-iterate, my goal is to recover a SQL Backup file (.BAK).

Ok.. Since I was not able to recover files using R-Stuido, the execs told me to send it off to a professional recovery service, which is what I did. I am going to leave their names out.

They kept my drives for 3 months, and bascially said there is a 1% chance of recovery. THe problem with the hard drive was that logical partition information was lost / butchered. So there were not able to recover any files I requested. They wanted to charge an INSANE amount of money to just "attempt" to recovery something. We said, "just send it back"

So I got the drive back, and started fiddling w/ R-Stuido again. I figure at this point,i have nothing to lose. The "Professionals" says it was a lost cause.

When I scan my drvies, I only got "Recognized X", and "Extra File Found". There was no .BAK file that were located. I finally realized that .BAK is not a KNOWN file type in R-Stuido (reviewing the documentation). This was a huge surprise to me, since a SQL Backup file is a very common way to create a backup file.

Since BAK was not indentifiable, I went for a hunt for .RAR file. I remember that at one point, I had to RAR a SQL Backup file and FTP it to a vendor. Sure enough, I located a RAR file, restored it, and then extrated the SQL BAK file. It restored to SQL just fine.

Good news is that we got some databack (about 80%). I sitll need the remaining 20% of data. My drives are FILLED with .BAK file. (we ran both daily and weekly backup). Since R-Studio doesn't have .BAK files, I cannot find them.

I read the documentation on how to create custom XML file, but I had no luck in making it work. I opened up BAK files, found patterns, but have not been able to successfully put it the XML.

I wanted to see if anyone had an XML File type for a SQL BAK?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

- Ton

I