Demo Expiration?

Disk backup and restore, partition imaging and cloning, and drive copy using R-Drive Image.
Forum rules
Discussion on the R-Drive Image software
arrrghhh

Demo Expiration?

Post by arrrghhh » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:31 pm

I have been doing my best to test R-Drive whilst still doing my normal job - it has not been easy. To that end, I'm not trying to do anything illegal here - I'm fairly certain that my company will purchase this software once I demo it to them. We are a bank, so everything moves really slowly, everything must be thoroughly tested, etc. So I've had to grab other machines as my test machines have expiring demos for R-Drive. The main reason I'm posting this is I went to install this on a dev machine (first production run!) just to kick off a backup and restore it onto another machine. It was *supposed* to show off my hard work... however it didn't work! It claimed I had 0 days left of evalution... now here is where I'm stumped. I have NEVER installed this software on this developer machine. I assume the trial period settings is stored in the registry? Is there any way I can get R-Drive onto this machine? Honestly this made me look really bad and it made this software look worse. Obviously you guys have a business to run and want to protect your product - I can respect that. But I am genuinely testing this product with the full intent of purchasing a site license - once it's been demo'd, I've done enough testing, etc. Unfortunately I don't think my company will pony up for the site license until we're certain we're going to be using this product. I'm not asking to pirate this software, and I understand that what I'm asking puts you guys in a very uncomfortable position. But if I can't get this product to install on a PC I've never installed it on - I don't know if I can put your product onto our network if it's going to fail because there's 0 days left to evaluate it, when the machine has never had your product installed. Please divulge as much info as you feel comfortable... I'm really at a loss here.

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Demo Expiration?

Post by Alt » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:16 am

Please contact our sales department at sales (at) r-tt (dot) com.
Please provide reference to this topic and the topic with our backup set discussion.

arrrghhh

Post by arrrghhh » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:48 am

Well the sales dept was worthless. They "talked to the developers" and said that I wasn't installing it as an admin user and I could use the bootable version etc. This is not acceptable. If I can't get this to work in production and show my boss how it works, this project will die. I have everything setup and working in a test environment, but now there needs to be a real-world test. Thus far, that has failed. I would really appreciate some simple info on what reg key the software is looking at, perhaps that got copied down onto this machine somehow. Not sure how, but somehow it must have. If I can't get this resolved I will be reduced to taking a backup using Zen... and that defeats the entire purpose of this endeavor. Please let me know what I can do!

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:25 pm

There might be only two reasons for this failure:
1. You installed R-Drive Image under an account with insufficient rights.
2. You somehow tampered with computer's date.
My suggestion is to take another computer and make a fresh install of R-Drive Image.

arrrghhh

Post by arrrghhh » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:33 pm

1. the software was installed as the local sysop / ADMIN user.
2. this is a brand new dev pc. i did NOT attempt to tamper with the date on the machine in any way whatsoever.

If your software is going to be limited in any way, we simply cannot use it. I was interested in purchasing a site license, but it seems your software cripples itself to the point of being completely unusable. This concerns me greatly for rolling this out to a production environment, I can't be bothered with trial periods and software breaking because it "hasn't been installed properly". Anybody know of a good GPL backup solution? At least I know it'll work.