Recovering partition table from recognized partition

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
Dmitry Stremkouski

Recovering partition table from recognized partition

Post by Dmitry Stremkouski » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:28 pm

Hello.
I'm using R-Studio for Linux.
Once a day I've lost all the partitions on my HD, executed 'dd if=/dev/zero of=/des/sda count=1 bs=512' (a was sure that must clear MBR, but that destroyed even partition table).
Partition table was:
MBR) - grub ->sda3
1) ntfs 5.1 pri bootable (lenovo recovery tools)
2) ntfs 5.1 pri (vista)
3) ext3 pri bootable (/boot)
4) extend
5) ext4 /
6) swap
7) ext4 /home
8) vfat /DATA
Using Acronis Disk Director I was able successfuly restore all the partitions except second one.
testdisk utility found that partition with some other three ntfs, however i was afraid to make changes.
I booted into recovered linux (fedora 14) and ran R-studio.
R-Studio scanned raw space and found one recognized partition (whole partition without errors etc).
I've dumped raw image to the external HDD. I've tried to mount it like a loop device, but had no luck.
Is it possible to write back some MFT entry into exsistent partition table, so that partition would have another life and would be recognized by other stuff?
Or if it possible to create dump from image, so i will dump it back using dd (linux disk dump) or clonezilla and then recover bootsector with vista's DVD(box ver from my friend).
Unfortunately i have no chance to reinstall vista, no oem media.

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Recovering partition table from recognized partition

Post by Alt » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:13 am

Unfortunately, R-Studio can only recover files, and not recover MFTs. That can be done manually using R-Studio's built-in disk editor, but that requires a very deep knowledge of the NTFS file system.