nonstandard MBR

Disk backup and restore, partition imaging and cloning, and drive copy using R-Drive Image.
Forum rules
Discussion on the R-Drive Image software
magoood

nonstandard MBR

Post by magoood » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:23 pm

HI
I'm testing R-drive (latest version) on my windows 7 x64 machine and I took a successful image of my main C: partition with it but whenever I try to restore that image, I find this message saying the I have a non standard multisector MBR code. What's going on? and why in the world I'm having a non standard MBR code? and how to get the standard code for MBR replace the non standard one?

Screenshot of the error message:

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: nonstandard MBR

Post by Alt » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:31 am

You have to create the image of two partitions to backup the system disk for Windows 7. One is the system disk itself, the other is an active partition for its loader. If you are trying to restore only one system disk, you'll have that message. If two, R-Drive Image would do it seamlessly. Computer Recovery and System Restore explains that in its Backup The System Disk to an Image File (2) section.

magoood

Post by magoood » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:43 am

Alt wrote:You have to create the image of two partitions to backup the system disk for Windows 7. One is the system disk itself, the other is an active partition for its loader. If you are trying to restore only one system disk, you'll have that message. If two, R-Drive Image would do it seamlessly. Computer Recovery and System Restore explains that in its Backup The System Disk to an Image File (2) section.
Hi, thanks for your response but my the partition on which windows 7 lives is the main active partition on which the MBR code lies! the other partition is just an extended partition and it's a data repository and that's it. I don't need to image it because it frequently changes. I back it up manually by picking and choosing which thigs are the most important to me.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:03 am

Sorry for a long delay with the answer.
Please, create a system dump (About -> System dump) and contact our techsupport. They will help you in solving the problem. Please, provide a reference to this topic.

outbacker

Post by outbacker » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:12 am

Hi,

With windows 7 x64 bit, there is a system boot partition that is created separately from the C:\ that maintains MBR. it should only be roughly 130mb in size, but the easy workaround is to backup the disk partition itself instead of the "drive" letter.

dmz43

Post by dmz43 » Sun May 15, 2011 11:30 pm

outbacker wrote:Hi,

With windows 7 x64 bit, there is a system boot partition that is created separately from the C:\ that maintains MBR. it should only be roughly 130mb in size, but the easy workaround is to backup the disk partition itself instead of the "drive" letter.
if the partition on which windows 7 is going to be installed is formated with other tools than this system boot partition is not created. it is only created when you use windows 7 dvd to create the partitions. so this nonstandard mbr error must be addressed too for many people don't use windows 7 dvd to format the hdd.