Specifications for User File Types definition doc

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
mrsolver48

Specifications for User File Types definition doc

Post by mrsolver48 » Tue May 24, 2011 6:17 pm

I have a file type that I need to define for the scan and recovery operations, namely Paintshop Pro Browser Record (.jbf). Regarding the specifications for the definition document file:
What formats are allowed, eg txt, rtf, doc?
Should the definition include the [Graphics, Pictures] category?
Should the definition be formatted like the Known File Types [Paintshop Pro Browser Record (.jbf)]?
Are there any delineation characters between fields?

I assume that I should re-scan objects after setting the Known File Types to those I want to look for.
New Kid in Recovery

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Specifications for User File Types definition doc

Post by Alt » Wed May 25, 2011 2:13 am

The overall specifications for user's Known File Type is in the R-Studio help. You may see it online: Customizing File Types
We a have a special article describing how to create a description file for a custom Known File Type: Creating a Custom Known File Type for R-Studio

MephistoVI

Post by MephistoVI » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:39 am

Regarding creating a custom known file type, the help section mentions how to put a signature, but how do we add a magic number instead? I have never created a file like this before and need some more guidance please. I also have other files I need recovered, and am awaiting a response from the companies that made those files so I can input them into the .xml document for recovery with R-Studio.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:57 am

Sorry, can you clarify what do you mean by saying the "magic number"? The id element? It may be any, provided that two customer's ids don't coincide. Don't bother about the ids of predefined types, they won't coincide with the user's one anyway.