.dvr and .idx recovery from Linux

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
Paladin005

.dvr and .idx recovery from Linux

Post by Paladin005 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:59 am

Hi

I have a CCTV unit which is running on Linux which has been formatted and I'm desperately trying to get a hold of the .dvr and .idx files it contains.

Ideally I would like to have the drive returned to it's original state as the playing software requires the files to be in a particular structure.

I have tried using R-Linux which has put the file structure back together but unfortunately hasn't extracted the files correctly as it doesn't know how to read a .dvr or .idx. Has anyone here had a similar problem or does anyone know how I can fix this issue.

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: .dvr and .idx recovery from Linux

Post by Alt » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:47 am

The problem has nothing to do with the fact that R-Linux doesn't know how to read those file types. R-Linux simply copies disk sectors it believes belonging to a particular files. The problem may be because of:
* the previous file system is seriously damaged during formatting. For example, the unit may specifically overwrite the data area on the disk to completely wipe the video data away.
or
* something incompatible with the file system on the disk. Maybe, the Linux version slightly modifies the file system to suit its purpose better.