Recovering mp3 from lost partition

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
Jero

Recovering mp3 from lost partition

Post by Jero » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:36 am

Hello.

I hope this is the right place for this.
I seem to have problems with recovered mp3 files.

I have used R-Studio 4.5 to scan a partitioned HDD for former/old partitions.

(The history is that it was partioned once, then the partions were moved and resized.)

R-Studio found the old partitions and showed me the directory of interest as deleted (marked with a red X).
All subdirectories were shown and marked the same way, no $$ signs or anything, the real complete names, just with a red X icon.

However, when I tried to recover the files (all of them mp3 audio files / except for a handful, several hundred files were recovered without any error messages coming up), they would not play. None of them was actually playable.

Then a friend of mine let me use Recover My Files, another data recovery software, which scanned for mp3 files and found the lost files. The three we recovered actually played flawlessly.
We identified one of the files and tried to recover it with R-Studio and with Recover My Files, and the one recovered with R-Studio does not play and the one recovered with his software does play. It is the same song, same position on the drive, same size.

My question now is, what am I doing wrong? Obviously, this is not a problem with the data, but with the software. How can I recover the directory resp. files in a way that they are playable/usable?

Software: R-Sudio 4.5
HDD in question: 160 GB, Hitachi Deskstar T7K250 S-ATA II
Partition in question: NTFS,

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Recovering mp3 from lost partition

Post by Alt » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:43 pm

I have passed the informaiton to our developers. Mightbe we will need some more informaiton to identify the problem.