Problem using R-Wipe&Clean with screen reader

A place to discuss data and privacy protection, file and disk wipe, computer cleaning, and removing traces of user activity with R-Wipe & Clean.
Forum rules
Discussion on the R-Wipe & Clean and R-Crypto software
clauderenaud

Problem using R-Wipe&Clean with screen reader

Post by clauderenaud » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:12 pm

Hi all,

I'm a blind registered user of several R-TT products (DriveImage, Wipe&Clean and Studio).
Since several versions I encounter problem accessing main window interface.
In fact till the 2/3 version of the product, the interface of the software was apparently textual (with no graphic objects), an interface type whith the one my screen reader can work very easily...
In latest versions, I encounter no particular problem with menus and dialog box but my screen reader, JAWS from Freedom Scientific (available at http://www.Freedomscientific.com) is totally unable to see the buttons present in the main window of the program.
I don't know if this is the reason why my screen reader don't see those buttons but according to a sighted person I talked about those buttons seems to very large ones...
IS there a kind of skin in this software ?
Could it be possible to find an alternative method to access functionalities available pressing those button : creating for example a dedicated actions submenu on the main menu bar ?

Waiting for such a possible solution in the future, could someone tell me for the moment it there is (are) tip(s) or trick(s) to accomplish the same task please ?

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Problem using R-Wipe&Clean with screen reader

Post by Alt » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:26 pm

I passed the problem to our developers.

clauderenaud

Post by clauderenaud » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:58 pm

Alt wrote:I passed the problem to our developers.
Thanks !

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:02 pm

The problem is that those buttons are just pictures whereas standard buttons are buttons and separate text for them. The screen reader can read the text. We will change those buttons from pictures to standard buttons. But that will take some time.

clauderenaud

Post by clauderenaud » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:39 am

Alt wrote:The problem is that those buttons are just pictures whereas standard buttons are buttons and separate text for them. The screen reader can read the text. We will change those buttons from pictures to standard buttons. But that will take some time.
Ok, thank for taking this into account !
So I will wait for it before renewing my RWC subscription...

clauderenaud

Post by clauderenaud » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:34 pm

Alt wrote:The problem is that those buttons are just pictures whereas standard buttons are buttons and separate text for them. The screen reader can read the text. We will change those buttons from pictures to standard buttons. But that will take some time.
But a simpler solution could be to add in a submenu (why not a contextual one accessable via the right mouse click), as many as entry as there are buttons or even on the toolbar.
From a development perspective I think it would be easier and quicker ...

clauderenaud

Post by clauderenaud » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:16 am

Hello,

I just saw that a new RWC release has been published, "R-Wipe&Clean 8.6 Build 1517".
Nothing about accessibility with screen readers.
IS it in your todo list and when do you approximately plan to implement it please ? (as I'm impatient to buy RWC)