Change Partition GUID id for GPT disk

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
rhap4boy

Change Partition GUID id for GPT disk

Post by rhap4boy » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:02 pm

I recently purchased R-Studio for Mac and was able to recover data inside a corrupted volume encrypted by TrueCrypt. Thank you R-TT!!!
The reason for the corruption is still unknown. It maybe a combination of TrueCrypt 7.1, Tuexda NTFS for Mac, Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2 update, or simply hard drive partition that wasn't cleaned properly converted from MBR to GPT disk.

Here is my original issue
http://forums.truecrypt.org/viewtopic.php?t=24937

Now, I want to protect my TrueCrypt encrypted partition by changing the GUID partition type ID to prevent a program accidentally messing with it. Is it possible to do this using R-Studio for Mac? I know that R-Studio has Text/hexadecimal Editor. But I am not sure which template to use and which sector to look? Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Change Partition GUID id for GPT disk

Post by Alt » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:11 am

Well, yes, R-Studio has a built-in text editor (see R-Studio's on-line help on the Text/Hex editor), and you can get the information about the GPT structure in Wiki, but I strongly discourage you to do so. Such manipulations require a very profound knowledge of hard disk logical structure and deep understanding of what you are doing. Even a smallest error may lead to a very catastrophic result. Moreover, you're going to alter data on an encrypted volume, which, by they nature, are very hard to recover data from. Your success in that is your extreme luck. Actually, I've never heard about successful data recovery from encrypted disks except your case.